|Applied Mechanics||- ||Petroleum and Energy||- ||Thermal Science||-|
Research line: Solid Mechanics
Development of mathematical models for uni, bi and tri- dimensional analysis of structures by numerical methods, such as the finite element method. Development of techniques and procedures for mechanical design, focusing in theoretical, numerical and experimental stress analysis, fatigue, creep, fracture mechanics, mechanical behavior of materials, destructive and non-destructive testing, structural analysis and failure historic. Structural integrity monitoring.
Research line: Dynamic systems and control
Modeling the dynamic behavior of mechanical and mechatronic systems including rigid or deformable elements. Hard and rigid-elastic body systems, including the effects of friction, hysteresis and impacts. Analysis of stochastic processes. Control of mechatronic systems, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, including mobile and robotic manipulators. Development of actuation systems for sensing and mechanical quantities.
Last publications 31. RITTO, T. G.; ESCALANTE, M. ; SAMPAIO, R ; ROSALES, M. Drill-string horizontal dynamics with uncertainty on the frictional force. Journal of Sound and Vibration, v. 332, p. 145-153, 2013.
32. ZIDANI, H., PAGNACCO, E., SAMPAIO, R., ELLALA, R., SOUZA DE CURSI, J. E., Multi-objective optimization by a new hybridized method: applications to random mechanical systems, Engineering Optimization (Print), v. 45 (8), 2013.
33. BELLIZZI, S.; SAMPAIO, R . Analysis of stationary random vibrating systems using smooth decomposition. Shock and Vibration, v. 20, p. 493-502, 2013.
34. PIOVAN, M. T.; RAMIREZ, J. ; SAMPAIO, R. . Dynamics of thin-walled composite beams: Analysis of parametric uncertainties. Composite Structures, v. 105, p. 14-28, 2013.
35. RITTO, T. G.; SAMPAIO, R.. Measuring the efficiency of vertical drill-strings: a vibration perspective. Mechanics Research Communications, v. 52, p. 32-39, 2013.
36. LOPEZ, R. H.; RITTO, T.G.; SAMPAIO, R.; CURSI, E. Optimization of a stochastic dynamical system. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering (Impresso), 2013. (ACEITO)
37. LOPEZ, R. H.; RITTO, T. G.; SAMPAIO, R.; CURSI, E.. A new algorithm for the robust optimization of rotor bearing systems. Engineering Optimization (Print), 2013. (ACEITO)
38. BUEZAS, F. S. ; ROSALES, M. B. ; SAMPAIO, R.. Propagation of uncertainties and multimodality on the impact problem of two elastic bodies. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 2013.(ACEITO)
39. CATALDO, E. ; SOIZE, C ; SAMPAIO, R.. Uncertainty quantification of voice signal production mechanical model and experimental updating. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 2013. (ACEITO)
40. AGUIAR,L.L.; ALMEIDA, C. A.; PAULINO, G.H. A Three-Dimensional Multilayered Nonlinear Pipe Beam Element. Computers and Structures, 2013. (ACEITO).
41. BEGHINI L., PEREIRA, A., ESPINHA, R., MENEZES, I.F.M., CELES, W., PAULINO, G.H., An Object-Oriented Framework for Finite Element Analysis based on a Compact Topological Data Structure, Advances in Engineering Software, 2013. (SUBMETIDO).
42. SOUSA, R. A. ; CASTRO, J. T. P. ; LOPES, A. A. O. ; MARTHA, L. F. . On improved crack tip plastic zone estimates based on T-stress and on complete stress fields. Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, v. 36(1), p. 25-38, doi:10.1111/j.1460-2695.2012.01684.x, 2013.
43. CASTRO, J.T.P. ; MEGGIOLARO, M. A. . Is notch sensitivity a stress analysis problem?. Frattura e Integrita Strutturale, v. 25, p. 79-86, 2013. 44. CASTRO, J.T.P.; LEITE, J.C.C. Does notch sensibility exist in environmentally assisted cracking (EAC)?”, Journal of Materials Research and Technology v.2, p.288-295, doi:10.1016/j.jmrt. 2013.02.010, 2013 (invited review paper).
45. MEGGIOLARO, M.A.; CASTRO, J. T. P.. Prediction of non-proportionality factors and equivalent ranges of multiaxial histories using the Moment Of Inertia method. International Journal of Fatigue, 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
46. MEGGIOLARO, M.A. ; CASTRO, J.T.P. The Moment of Inertia Method to Calculate Equivalent Ranges in Non-Proportional Multiaxial Histories. Journal of Materials Research, 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
47. GÓES, R.C.O.; CASTRO, J.T.P.; MARTHA, L.F. “3D effects around notch and crack tips”, International Journal of Fatigue (ACEITO) 2013.
48. CASTRO, J.T.P.; LANDIM, R.V.; LEITE, J.C.C.; MEGGIOLARO, M.A. “Prediction of Notch Sensitivity Effects in Fatigue and EAC”, Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
49. I SHIH-LIU; SAMPAIO, R.S., “Remarks on material frame-indifference controversy”, Acta Mechanica, 2013. DOI 10.1007/s00707-013-0973-4.
50. SACRAMENTO, V.F.D.; SAMPAIO, R.; RITTO, T.G. “Fatigue Damage Induced by Ocean Waves", Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, 2013. DOI 10.1007/s40430-013-0077-z.
51. CATALDO, E.; BELLIZZI, S.; SAMPAIO, R. "Free vibrations of an uncertain energy pumping system", Journal of Sound and Vibration, 2013. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsv.2013.08.022.
Research line: Pipeline Engineering
With an applied focus, and trying to anticipate future industry needs, this multidisciplinary research line is focused on solving relevant problems to the pipeline transportation segment of the chain of production and distribution of oil and natural gas. Some of the topics covered are:
structural integrity, risk analysis, risk-based inspection, structural analysis of submarine pipelines, sensors and instrumentation, instrumented pigs, thermo-hydraulic simulation of flow and flow assurance.
Research line: Petroleum Engineering
This research line is focused on issues of interest in the Exploration and Production segment (E & P) chain of oil and natural gas. Research is developed in topics related to reservoir engineering, drilling, well engineering and production engineering. Among the research topics in this line are the development of optical fiber sensors for permanent monitoring of bottom well, intelligent completion, smart fields, rheology of unconventional fluids of interest in the E & P segment, multiphase flow, fluid flow in drilling process, flow in porous media, flow of emulsions and reservoir modeling.
Research line: Energetic systems
This research line is directed towards the study of rational use of energy resources, considering thermodynamic, economic and environmental aspects. Some of the themes in development include the conversion of diesel engines for the consumption of natural gas, cogeneration and alternative generation, fuel cells for power generation and cogeneration, as well as the regulation of the natural gas market sector in the country.
Last publications 1. ENGELKE, B. ; CARVALHO, MARCIO S. ; Alvarado, Vladimir . Conceptual Darcy-Scale Model of Oil Displacement with Macroemulsion. Energy & Fuels (Online), v. 27, p. 1967-1973, 2013.
2. NOGUEIRA, G. L. ; CARVALHO, M. S. ; ALVARADO, V. . Dynamic Network Model of Mobility Control in Emulsion Flow through Porous Media. Transport in Porous Media, v. 98, p. 427-441, 2013.
3. NIECKELE, A.O. ; CARNEIRO, J.N.E.; Chucuya, R.C.; AZEVEDO, J. H. P. . Initiation and Statistical Evolution of Horizontal Slug Flow with a Two-Fluid Model. Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol 135(12), paper 121302, 2013. DOI: 10.1115/1.4025223.
4. MACHADO, G. B. ; BARROS, J. E. M. ; BRAGA, S. L. ; BRAGA, C. V. M.; da SILVA, A. H. M. F. T.; de AZEVEDO, E. C. Z.. Influence of Gasoline Components on Engine Efficiency and Emissions. Energy & Fuels (ACS Publications). (Print), 2013. (ACEITO).
5. DÍAZ, M.A.D., CARVALHO, V.C.H.A., AND GOMES M.S.P., “Life cycle analysis of the Brazilian sugarcane ethanol”, Journal of Sustainable Bioenergy Systems, 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
6. SIMÕES, E.F., CARNEIRO, J.N.E.; NIECKELE, A.O. Numerical prediction of non-boiling heat transfer in horizontal stratified and slug flow by the Two-Fluid Model. International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, (SUBMETIDO).
Reseach line: Fluids Engineering
This research line involves experimental activities and computer simulation focused on the study of fundamental and applied problems involving fluid flow. Numerical simulations of a wide range of flow using finite volume and and finite element techniques, with applications ranging from low Reynolds numbers flows of free surface to turbulent flow at high Reynolds numbers and multi-phase flow. The development of turbulence models and efficient and robust computational methods in turbulent flows are also studied. Another line of action is focused on the study of the rheological materials behavior, including theoretical, numerical and experimental analysis, studying unconventional materials such as viscoplastic and viscoelastic fluids. It is also performed experimental and numerical research in atmospheric pollution area, involving dispersion of particulate pollutants (aerosols) and gas. Also, techniques for measuring fluid flows, such as hot wire velocimetry, Laser-Doppler and optical techniques are developed, using digital images processing.
Reseach line: Thermal Machines
The development of simulation models and experimental testing of heating systems, refrigeration, air conditioning and components is conducted in this research line. Emphasis has been given to the study of new refrigerants, non-azeotropic mixtures, hydrocarbons and air, as well as the development of high performance heat exchangers. Thermal storage applied to cooling or heating systems is also studied, with a focus on systems that involve phase change, such as encapsulated materials or ice slurries. At the Laboratory of Vehicle Engineering - LEV are conducted studies related to fuel evaluation and engine performance.
Reserach line: Heat and Mass Transfer
In this research line are conducted theoretical, experimental and numerical studies comprising the fundamental and applied aspects of problems involving heat and mass transfer. Numerical studies on combustion models and their applications to industrial problems are also addressed. These studies are complemented by advanced laser diagnostic techniques of combustion processes.
1. ESTEVES, A. S.; PARISE, J. A. R.. Mathematical modeling of cryogenic spills onto quiescent sea waters followed by pool fires of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG). Applied Thermal Engineering, v. 59, p. 587-598, 2013.
2. MENA, J. B.; UBICES DE MORAES, A. A.; BENITO, ROQUE, Y.; RIBATSKI, G.; PARISE, J. A. R.. Extrapolation of Al2O3-water nanofluid viscosity for temperatures and volume concentrations beyond the range of validity of existing correlations. Applied Thermal Engineering, v. 51, p. 1092-1097, 2013.
3. FONSECA, C.; FREY, S.; NACCACHE, M. F. ; SOUZA MENDES, P. R.. Flow of an elasto-viscoplastic thixotropic fluid past a confined cylinder. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics (Print), v. 193, p. 80-88, 2013. doi: 1016/j.jnnfm.2012.08.007. 4. NACCACHE, M.F.; CORREA, J. P. ; SOARES, I. F. ; ABDU, A. . Rheological characterization of polymers fiber composite. Polymer Composites, v. 35, p. 1-10, 2013. DOI: 10.1002/pc.22537.
5. DE SOUZA MENDES, P. R.; RAJAGOPAL, K. R.; THOMPSON, R. L.. A thermodynamic framework to model thixotropic materials. International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, v. 55 p. 48-54, 2013. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2013.04.006 .
6. DE SOUZA MENDES, P. R.; THOMPSON, R. L.. A unified approach to model elasto-viscoplastic thixotropic yield-stress materials and apparent yield-stress fluids. Rheologica Acta, v. 52(7), p. 673-694, 2013. doi: 10.1007/s00397-013-0699-1. 7. ABRANTES, J. K.; STANISLAS, M.; COUDERT, S.; AZEVEDO, L. F. A.. Digital microscopic holography for micrometer particles in air. Applied Optics, v. 52, p. A397-A409, 2013. DOI:/10.1364/AO.52.00A397.
8. EGUSQUIZA GONI, J.C. ; FIGUEIRA DA SILVA, L.F. . Turbulent non-premixed ethanol-air flame experimental study using laser diagnostics. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering (Impresso), v. 1, p. 1806-3691, 2013.
9. MAZA, D. ; KUMAR, S. ; CARVALHO, M.S. . Spreading and merging of liquid streams flowing down an inclined plane: Modeling and experiments. Chemical Engineering Science, v. 95, p. 221-231, 2013.
10. SASAKI, M. ; SUSZYNSKI, W. J. ; CARVALHO, M. S. ; FRANCIS, L. F. . Process limits in two-layer reverse roll transfer. Journal of Coatings Technology and Research , v. 10, p. 485-492, 2013.
11. PEREIRA, R. H. ; BANDARRA FILHO, E. P. B.; BRAGA, S. L.; PARISE, J. A. R.. Nucleate Boiling in Large Arrays of Impinging Water Sprays. Heat Transfer Engineering, v. 34, p. 479-491, 2013.
12. ROCA, J.F. ; CARVALHO, M.S. . Flow of a drop through a constricted micro capillary. Computers & Fluids, 2013. DOI 10.1016/j.compfluid.2012.11.020
13. TIECHER, R. F. P. ; PARISE, J. A. R. A comparative parametric study on single-phase Al2O3-water nanofluid exchanging heat with a phase-changing fluid. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 2013. (ACEITO)
14. HERMANY, L.; SANTOS, D.D.; FREY, S.; NACCACHE, M.F. ; DE SOUZA MENDES, P. R. . Flow of yield-stress liquids through an axisymmetric abrupt expansion-contraction. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics (Print), 2013. DOI: 10.1016/j.jnnfm.2013.07.002.
15. SANTOS, D. D.; FREY, S. L.; NACCACHE, M. F. ; SOUZA MENDES, P. R.. Multi-field stabilized finite element approximations for Oldroyd-B fluid flows. Engenharia Térmica, v. 12 (1), p. 61-66, 2013.
16. REZENDE, A.L., SAMPAIO, L.E.B., NIECKELE, A.O.; The challenging case of the turbulent flow around a thin plate wind deflector, and its numerical prediction by RANS models. Journal of Wind Engineering & Industrial Aerodynamics, 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
17. TALISCHI, C., PEREIRA, A., PAULINO, G.H., MENEZES, I.F.M., CARVALHO, M.S., Polygonal Finite Elements for Incompressible Fluid Flow, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 2013. DOI: 10.1002/fld.3843
18. PEREIRA, A., TALISCHI, C., PAULINO, G.H., MENEZES, I.F.M., CARVALHO, M.S., Implementation of Fluid Flow Topology Optimization in PolyTop, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
19. PARISE, J. A. R., TIECHER, R. F. P. , A Simulation Model for the Application of Nanofluids as Condenser Coolants in Vapor Compression Heat Pumps, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
20. TIECHER, R. F. P. ; MENA, J. B. ; ESTEVES, A. S.; PARISE, J. A. R., Thermodynamic study of the simultaneous production of electrical and refrigeration power from regasification of liquefied natural gas, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
21. SOTOMAYOR, P.O., PARISE, J. A. R., Modelling of a cascade vapour compression cycle employing brazed plate heat exchangers, Applied Thermal Engineering, 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
22. CUNHA JR., A.B. ; FIGUEIRA DA SILVA, L.F. Assessment of a Transient Homogeneous Reactor through In Situ Adaptive Tabulation. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, 2013. DOI: 10.1007/s40430-013-0080-4. 23. CAETANO, N.R. ; FIGUEIRA DA SILVA, L.F. A Comparative Experimental Study of Turbulent Non Premixed Flames Stabilized by a Bluff-Body Burner, Combustion Science and Technology, 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
24. LAGE, M., CRISSAFF, L, LOPES, H, CARVALHO, M.S., Finite Element/Fictitious Domain Programming for Flows with Particles Made Simple, Advances in Engineering Software (SUBMETIDO).
25. VANDRE, E.; CARVALHO, M.S.; KUMAR, S. “On the mechanism of wetting failure during fluid displacement along a moving substrate”. Physics of Fluids . DOI: dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4821193
26. MENDES, A., ISNARD, A.A., AND GOMES, M.S.P., “Calibration of particle spectrometers: developing a methodological proposition”, Metrologia, Bureau International des Poids et Mesures (BIPM), 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
27. MARTINS, R. R. ; FURTADO, G. M. ; SANTOS, D.D.; FREY, S. L.; NACCACHE, M. F. ; SOUZA MENDES, P. R. . Elastic and viscous elastic effects on flow pattern of elasto-viscoplastic fluids in a cavity. Mechanics Research Communications, 2013. DOI: 10.1016/j.mechrescom.2013.07.012.
28. SANTOS, D. D. ; FREY, S. L.; NACCACHE, M. F. ; DE SOUZA MENDES, P. R.. Flow of elasto-viscoplastic liquids through a planar expansion-contraction. Rheologica Acta (Print), 2013. DOI: 10.1007/s00397-013-0736-0.
29. DE SOUZA MENDES, P. R.; THOMPSON, R. L.; ALICKE, A. A.; LEITE, R. T.. The linear large-amplitude viscoelastic regime and its significance in the rheological characterization of soft matter with LAOS. Journal of Rheology, 2013. (SUBMETIDO). 30. CAMPANA, D.; CARVALHO, M. S. Liquid transfer from cavities to rotating rolls. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 2013 (SUBMETIDO).
Publicações de 2021
Publicações de 2020
Publicações de 2019
Publicações de 2018
Publicações de 2017